Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Weekend at the Farm July 22 - 24, 2022

 


The drought is very bad.  I have lost many plants.  And many are just hanging on with very little life in them.  It is hard to keep up with the watering of places where I have always relied on rainfall for my irrigation.

  • I worked from the farm on Friday.  
  • I watered in the Long Border in the morning, the White Garden during the noonish hours, and the Medicine Garden in the afternoon and evening.
  • Saturday.  Up early and outside to the Rose Garden.  
  • Weeded, weeded, weeded.  Pulled out dead, dried up vegetation.  Watered.  
  • One thing that looks pretty good in this drought with only the littlest bit of water encouragement is my gomphrena.  The Heliopsis did not fair as well, but it's still alive. Yarrow has been a disappointment (maybe only for this year due to the drought, I don't have enough experience growing it) this year because it went dormant in the heat.  I know most of it is alive, but it is not green.
  • Pulled up the Dahlberg Daisy growing in the path and spread the seed here and there.
  • I pulled up the last of the chicken wire surrounding individual beds in the Rose Garden.  The outside fencing is working really well.  No armadillo activity.
  • In the late morning I worked in the Star Garden.  I watered wherever I saw a lot of stress.  I spent time in the shady part of the Star Garden.  I pulled up chicken wire surrounding one bed in the Star Garden.  The fencing around the outside edge of the Star Garden is not working as well as the fencing in the Rose Garden.  Not sure where the armadillos are getting in, but I haven't devoted serious time to finding the holes.  It's so so hot!  I did a lot of weeding in the beds at the outside edges of the Star Garden.  
  • Sunday.  I worked in the Vegetable Garden.  A couple of weeks ago I pulled up all the tomato plants.  I turned over the soil everywhere I had buckwheat growing.  That's my green manure.  I feel good about that.  I sowed some giant sunflower seeds.  Fertilized my eggplant.  Weeded.
  • Headed home to Houston about 2:00 so that I could run some errands.    

No comments:

Post a Comment