Monday, September 5, 2022

Labor Day Weekend at the Farm September 3 - 5, 2022

 

This is some lantana that voles haven't found yet.

I arrived early Saturday morning.  Koy's 7th birthday party on Friday night.  Bert was already here to check on the pool.  Inch and a half in the rain gauge.  

  • I began working in the Star Garden as soon as I arrived.  It was cloudy all day and rained a little bit in the afternoon.
  • I did a lot of clipping plants leaning into other plants, especially the blue salvia.  Pulled weeds.  Dumped everything in an erosion spot. 
  • Everything looks really good.  There aren't many weeds and the rain has perked everything up.  There is not much work to do in the Water Garden, Star Garden, Medicine Garden or Rose Garden.  I couldn't be happier with the way the gardens look.  I need to complete cutting last year's blackberry brambles in the Orchard, but I didn't go down there.
  • I planted 3 Passalong Pink verbena and 3 Colonial White verbena in the Rose Garden.
  • Sunday.  I hadn't planned to do any work at all, but I ended up doing a few things before people arrived.  I staked some gomphrena that had fallen down from its own waterlogged weight.  I clipped away plants blocking paths in the Star Garden and the Rose Garden.  Pulled some weeds.   Dumped the debris in an erosion spot.
  • Lisa brought me 4 Becnel's Smith fig trees that she rooted from cuttings.  They look good, really healthy.  I put them in the Vegetable Garden so they can get regular water, but I'm not going to plant them until it is cooler outside.  I know I will plant at least 1 in the Orchard.  And I'm thinking of planting 1 behind the Vegetable Garden.  But it's a big decision trying to decide where to site a tree.  It is a very permanent decision, so I want to consider carefully.  I want to plant 2 pecan trees this winter also.  All these trees have to be sort of near irrigation in case of dry weather while they get established.  
  • Monday, the last folks departed (Nathan and family) around noon.  I sowed seeds.  In the Greenhouse Gardens, the Water Garden, and the Medicine Garden, I sowed Feverfew.  In the Star Garden in the old Harlequin Glorybower bed I sowed Anise Hyssop.  Near the hot pink Phlox that might not come back, I sowed Anise Hyssop.  In the Rose Garden I sowed a few white zinnias, some Anise Hyssop and calendulas. 
  • Watered all my new trees - 2 Witch Hazel, 1 Parsley Hawthorn, 1 Huisache, and my Senna tree.
  • Headed home about 4:00.


No comments:

Post a Comment