Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Weekend at the Farm March 8 - 10, 2024

 


Friday.  Turned compost into 2 beds in the Vegetable Garden.  I sowed crookneck squash in a 4 x 4 bed and some Abashi bitter melon seeds in a bed along the fence.  Bitter melon is a Japanese, weird fruit on a vine.  I'm just growing it for fun.  I like to have a vine of some sort in the Vegetable Garden every year.  My beans have mostly popped up.  And most of the fennel has emerged.

After work I amended another bed and planted a couple of bell pepper plants.

Saturday.  It turned cold and grey during the night. I side dressed plants in the Star Garden and my evergreen oak.  Cleared out beds.

I spent time in the front bed clearing out weeds and laying down compost.  I wanted to get to that before our Airbnb guests start arriving - 2 groups over the next several weeks.

Anne Thames and I went to Plants and Things and New Leaf nurseries to talk about the NICE program for NPSOT.  That burned a good part of the day.

I planted 2 of 3 Mangaves I bought, and I cleaned out all the winter debris from the others.  There were a lot of mushy leaves after our freeze, then I moved them outside last weekend and the leaves dried up.  I pulled them all off and cut them away.  I don't know if what's below the surface is still alive.  That part I am very confused about - should I replant or will pups come up from the root ball?

Sunday.  Cold and mostly cloudy.

I turned the compost and layered in more greens.

Composted several more beds in the Vegetable Garden and sowed zucchini, beans and squash.

I planted 2 Valerian plants in the Star Garden, a Stevia and 3 thyme in the Vegetable Garden.

I cleared out areas in the Star Garden bed and laid down compost.  I planted an arrowleaf sage that I bought from New Leaf.



No comments:

Post a Comment