Saturday, July 7, 2012

A Weekend at the Farm July 5 - 6, 2012

This is a Picasso Canna.  Picasso is a dwarf canna, it only reaches about two feet in height.  The variety of colors and patterns that can be found in the canna family is quite spectacular.  I love the red spots on the Picasso.  Cannas seem to have fallen out of fashion, probably because they are so easy to grow.  When something is easy to grow it becomes a common sight, and then people don't like it anymore.  But I find them to be really useful in the garden.  They provide vertical interest in the garden, like gingers - but many gingers are for shade, and cannas love the sun.  They have wonderfully big leaves, often with great color variation such as burgundy or stripes.

  • My family came on Saturday for a visit.  My parents, my sister Nancy, my sister in law Gretchen and nephew Beckett, my mother in law Beth, my husband's niece Ashley, her two children Nolan and Nicholas, my husband's son William, his wife Kim, and their two month old daughter Zelda.  It was a very nice day. William and Kim stayed the night.  I had lots of time to spend with my new granddaughter.  She is beautiful and very sweet natured.  I walked her all around the gardens.  She loves being outside, she quiets down immediately and looks all around intently.
  • William and Kim and the baby left on Friday around 11.
  • Swam in the pool.
  • Pulled weeds.
  • Dug up seedlings of purple columbine that were growing in the paths of the Infinity Garden and moved them to one of my new shady gardens.
  • Dug up Aztec White Nicotiana that was growing in the paths and moved it to several of the new shady gardens.  That's the secret to inexpensive expansion, use what you have.
  • Watered the hydrangeas and the Vitex.
  • Fertilized the shrubs with liquid fertilizer - flowering almond, wegelia (almost has disappeared completely), almond verbena, pearl bush, snowball viburnum, double red althea, blue satin althea.  I fertilized last weekend as well, I won't fertilize again for awhile.
  • Next weekend I will work on the Vegetable Garden.  It needs a lot of work.!   

No comments:

Post a Comment