Sunday, July 8, 2012

What's Blooming Now - Indigo Spires Salvia July 6, 2012

 Basically, I like any blue flower.  Indigo Spires is a perennial plant.  The leaves have a greyish-silvery cast to them.  Very attractive.  This salvia grows very fast.  I bought 4 tiny plants a few months ago, and they all are about three feet tall and equally as wide.  I planted them to surround a Blue Satin Marina Althea.  The althea was completely covered up, so I cut away the salvia so that it was not crowding the althea quite so much.  Bees really like salvia.  So do the hummers.  Mine is growing in a flowerbed that is shady for several hours a day, but I still get some very good blooms.

Indigo Spires will die back in the winter.  That's ok because the bare ground can be used to sow winter flower seeds such as calendula or corn cockle.


No comments:

Post a Comment