Monday, June 9, 2014

Weekend at the Farm June 6 - 7, 2014

These are some of my cute little finger carrots.

Went with Blake and her friend Karen to sign up for her baby registry at Babies R Us.  Then lunch.  Fun day.  Went to the farm after.
  • Decided I'm going to pull up my Pearly Mae and Honey Sweet roses.  Just not hardy enough for the conditions I have them growing in.  They are spindly, and compared to the other roses in the Rose Garden, they are not good bloomers.  I will dig them up in the fall and plant some others.
  • I cut back the Sweet Olive next to the gate in Max's Garden.  I thought it would be a good location because you have to pass right by it on the way to the Rose Garden.  It was the perfect spot to smell its wonderful smell.  But it has not performed well.  Hopefully this will spur some new growth.  I added it to my watering list, so maybe with a little attention it will prosper.  The other 3 I ordered from a catalogue have all died.
  • Started collecting all the Love in a Mist seeds, pulling up all the dead plants, etc.  Many of the seeds fell to the ground, but I threw a bunch of them in the Black Eyed Susan border next to the Rose Garden.  Not sure if they will respond to the harsher conditions that exist there, but there's only one way to find out.  Now that the Love in a Mist is gone I will seed the beds with Zinnias.
  • Carol came by and picked some blackberries.  She gave us a bluebird house that she made.  I'm excited about that.
  • Picked green beans.
  • Picked squash blossoms and filled them with ricotta and Parmesan to cook later.  Some of the squash plants have died since last weekend.  I assume it is some sort of borer insect.  It''s not nematodes.  That's ok, they have produced a lot for me.  Squash doesn't go all the way into summer, they don't like the extreme heat. 
  • Cleaned out the bed with the Dwarf Flowering Almonds and seeded it with zinnias.  I also cleaned up several other beds that were getting pretty weedy.
  • Sprayed herbicide on the yaupons in the clearing in front of the house.  I'm trying to keep on top of that.  Anything else can grow, but no yaupons!
  • Cleaned the shower again for good measure.  Cleaned it last week as well.
  • Mopped the living room floor and put down floor shine.
  • Made Caldo Gallego to bring to the lake for Father's Day.
  • Seeded Zinnias here and there in the Star Garden. There are already enough seedlings growing to make a good show.  I should stop and use the rest of them in the Orchard.  I'm waiting for the Larkspur and other wild flowers to go to seed so I can pull them up and make room for summer flowers - zinnias and sunflowers.
  • We brought 3 bags of grass clippings from Houston.  I poured one in the compost pile, one on top of my leaf mulch, and I used one to cover a few empty beds in the Vegetable Garden.  
  • Made blackberry cobbler Saturday and Sunday night.  I don't want my berries to go to waste!
  • Ate glazed carrots on Sunday night that I pulled up from the garden.
  • We got a good little rain on Sunday afternoon which lessens the pressure on me to water all my shrubs.  But I watered many of them.  
  • Cut away a lot of Ox Eye Daisy stems in the Star Garden and the Rose Garden.  All of them have gone to seed.  There are a billion seedlings everywhere.  
  • Drove around the property with my husband which we often do, I don't mention it, but it is quite lovely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment