Monday, June 2, 2014

Weekend at the Farm May 31 - June 1, 2014i

Busy weekend.

  • I cleaned up around the pool.  I weeded, mulched with my leaf mulch, sprayed with herbicide, and sowed some zinnia seeds.  The garden area around the pool is my least favorite place to spend time.
  • Saturday I made gumbo.  I had lots of smoked turkey legs left over from the crawfish boil because my husband and I both bought the ingredients.
  • Deadheaded the roses in the Rose Garden.
  • Picked blackberries and made a blackberry crumble.  Pretty scrumptious served warm with English clotted cream spooned over the top.
  • Made more squash blossoms.  I'm basically sick of them, but I have about sixty of them blooming every weekend.  I hate to waste them.
  • Mopped the kitchen and put down floor shine.
  • Cleaned the master bath shower.  Spent about an hour in there scrubbing.
  • Vacuumed the whole house.
  • Picked green beans.  Had some for dinner and brought a gallon baggy of them home with me.
  • Spent time cleaning up the Infinity Garden mulching and clipping and fertilizing.
  • Sprayed herbicide on the driveway, the Rose Garden, the Star Garden, and the Vegetable Garden.
  • Used my trombone sprayer to spray everything in the Shade Garden, particularly the ferns.  Sprayed the camellias along the Boardwalk, the Sassafras tree, the salvias along the back of the house, the butterfly bush, and the gingers in all the beds.  I'm sold on foliar feeding.  I really think it makes a difference.  The trombone sprayer broke right when I was finishing up.  Damn.  My husband wrapped it with duct tape, we'll see if it holds.
  • Sprayed herbicide on the yaupon coming up from the roots throughout the clearing we made in front of the house.  It will take some effort, but eventually if you spray the new growth enough, it gives up the ghost.
  • Watered a few plants, but we had a pretty good rain last week so I didn't spend too much time on it.
  • Weeded, always.
  • The first parrot gladiola is blooming.  So pretty.  
  • The rabbits are eating me out of house and home!  There has been a real population explosion of the little plant eaters.   


No comments:

Post a Comment