Sunday, May 17, 2015

Weekend at the Farm May 15 - 17, 2015

 
  • Arrived Friday afternoon.  Didn't do much, just looked around making mental notes of what I want to do Saturday and Sunday.  There are ripe plums on the trees, I need to pick them this weekend.  Verry vines are loaded.  The grape vines are loaded with tiny berries.  They are much smaller than the mustang grapes growing wild on the property.  Lots of big green tomatoes in the Vegetable Garden (please, squirrels and racoons, let me have a few this year) .
  • Saturday morning I picked squash blossoms and filled them with ricotta for later.  Picked a few yellow squash as well that we will have for dinner tonight.
  • Spent most of the morning cutting back all the floppy Ox Eye daisy stems.  They have already thrown seed everywhere and tiny little Ox Eyes are sprouting all over the paths.  I filled about 10 bucket-fulls and threw them in the wild border next to the Rose Garden.  That's a good place for them.  Maybe I can get a good stand of them started in there.  I'm still not finished with that job, but I got a good start on it.
  • Picked plums while Bert held the ladder.  I have a large bowl of them.
  • Picked blackberries.  I have a really big bowl of them.
  • Sunday morning I picked squash blossoms and asparagus.  Stuffed the squash blossoms with ricotta and put them in the fridge for later.  There were lots of asparagus spears, plenty for dinner.
  • Started right in cutting back the Ox Eyes in the Rose Garden and in a few spots left in the Star Garden. The rain held me off, so I went in the house.
  • Made blackberry jelly with the some preserve jars I bought on my way to the farm..
  • Weeded, weeded, weeded.  Laid down some mulch that I bought when I purchased the canning jars.   Need more mulch!
  • Sowed some pink zinnias in the Star Garden.
  • Went back to the Rose Garden and worked in there for about three hours.  Got most of the Ox Eyes cut back.
  • The wisteria was growing into the oak trees nearby.  Bert blasted the vines with the shotgun.  Problem solved.  He turned to me, deadpan and said, "You know you're a redneck when you trim your wisteria with a shot gun."  That was a giggle.
  • After dinner we sat on the porch, drank wine and watched the lightening bugs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment