Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Weekend at the Farm May 12 - 13, 2018



Arrived Friday afternoon after taking my mom to get carpal tunnel surgery.
  • Saturday morning I picked a gallon baggy of Dragon Tongue beans.  They are yellow streaked with purple.  You cook them like green beans. 
  • I dug up some potatoes as well.  I'm not getting a lot of potatoes this year because of the voles.  They keep pulling my potato plants under the ground so that no potatoes have time to form. 
  • The Vegetable Garden looks good.  The corn is coming along.  Flowers are blooming.  The birdhouse gourd vines are reaching the top of the arbor.  The onions are bulbing.
  • I walked the prairie.  Bert cut down two cedar trees so we get a lot more sun in there. 
  • I put a wheelbarrow of manure down in the Rose Garden.  And I pulled up some brown eyed susans that were crowding my roses.
  • Spent a lot of time watering in the Rose Garden.
  • Any Thomeson had a group come by on Saturday to walk the prairie area.  Timing was good.  Now I know I need to cut away a bad grass before its seed heads ripen.  And I got answers on some of the plants I was wondering about (are they good or bad?).
  • I sprayed some herbicide in the prairie, just spot-sprayed here and there. 
  • I sprayed herbicide in the Star Garden. 
  • Staked some Montbretia.
  • I pulled out the ladder and picked plums.  Very exciting.
  • Trimmed grape vines a bit so that they don't get unruly.
  • Drove to Blake's house for Mother's Day on sunday.  Josh, Amy and the kids couldn't make it because Cleo was sick.  But everyone else was there.  We swam in the pool and had had hamburgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment