Sunday, May 20, 2018

Weekend at the Farm May 18 - 20, 2018


Arrived at the farm on Thursday evening for a long weekend.  Saturday was Meghan and Harry's wedding .  I watched the whole thing.  Bert's birthday was Sunday.
  • Friday morning I worked in the Vegetable Garden for an hour or so.  I picked a gallon baggy-full of Dragons Tongue beans.  I did a lot weeding and pinched back a lot of zinnias to make them fuller.  I also cut the tops off a lot of Mexican Sunflowers to make them bushier.
  • Watered in the Rose Garden throughout the day.  
  • Watered the pots around the pool.
  • Sprayed herbicide in paths in the Vegetable Garden.
  • Spot sprayed herbicide in the Prairie Meadow.  I pulled up a bunch of some plant I don't know the name of, but the flowers are very weedy-looking and spread their seed like crazy.  I pull some up every time I walk the area.
  • I trimmed the grape vines.  This is my new method for hopefully getting some grapes off my vines.  I'm cutting away the vines that go every which way and shade the grapes.
  • The day lilies in the Orchard look so pretty right now!
  • Swam in the pool with Bert.
  • The sprinklers in the top section of the Boardwalk were not working.  Everything was really dry there.  We fiddled with the wires inside the sunken boxes and got them working again.   
  • Rested in the heat of the day.
  • When evening set in we drove out to the cul de sac and watched Venus rise.
  • Saturday morning I watched the royal wedding.
  • I weeded in the Orchard, the Star Garden, and here, there, and everywhere.
  • Watered in the Rose Garden some more.
  • I went to a plant swap.  I brought some of my poppy seeds, my Purple Phacelia seeds, and some of my wonderful gingers for the swap.  I picked up some San Antonio Rose Amaryllis and a variety of very tall blue mist flower that I've never heard of.  Connie also gave me a Burr Oak seedling which I'm very excited about.  I am beginning to recognize people as I go to various events in the area.  We are all very friendly, I just need to get to the next level of remembering names!
  • Cleaned the guest bathroom, leather furniture, the vent hood, the ceiling fan in the living room, kitchen sink, counter tops, glass tables and the lights above the bar.
  • Picked some plums - the bees were acting crazy!  At first I thought they were doing their usual thing - sort of clustering across the front of the hive waiting to get it.  But when I looked closer they were swarming around like crazy in front of the hive. Interesting and disconcerting.
  • Sunday morning I vacuumed and mopped.  
  • Mom, Dad, Nan and Lisa came for a visit.  We picked plums and made plum jelly.  We had a nice day! 
  • Did some weeding.  The crab grass is winning the battle.  Hopefully I will win the war, though.
  • Drove in to work on Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment