Thursday, May 31, 2018

Weekend at the Farm May 25 - 27, 2018



Arrived Friday evening.  Bert was already here, working hard as usual.  Blake and the boys came up on Saturday morning and spent the night.  Ashley, Allan, Nick and a friend, Nan, Lisa, Mom and Dad came up on Sunday for the day.  We swam and played.  Ashley and family spent the night on Sunday.
  • Friday evening I did a lot of walking around.  Picked some plums.  The blackberries are so sweet.  
  • Saturday morning while I waited for Blake and kids to arrive, I pulled weeds.  I spotted a copperhead as I was reaching down into a tangle of plants and weeds.  Bert shot it.  We spent the day swimming and riding on the "mower" - a new electric vehicle I bought for the grandkids.  They left on Sunday morning.
  • Sunday the rest of the group arrived.  More swimming.  Nice day.  Ashley and family left around noon on Monday.
  • I spent part of Monday afternoon cleaning up the Rose Garden.  I cut away all the Ox Eye Daisy seed heads, staked some Brown-Eyed Susans that were leaning into paths, trimmed ground covers so they weren't leaning into paths, weeded, and watered.
  • I spent some time in the Orchard as well.  I trimmed verbena out of the paths and weeded.  I spotted a short, fat black snake with very subtle dark markings under some flowers where I was working.  Yuck.  I picked some plums and called it a day. 
  • I noticed the metal cable on which we have the grapes trained has fallen down on one side.  I showed Bert so he could fix it next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment