Sunday, April 4, 2010

A Weekend at the Farm 04/03-04/10

'Evan Saul' Orange Coneflower - a butterfly magnet.


Persian Berry Bearded Iris buds.



Easter weekend. My husband's son, wife and friends came to camp near the tree house.




  • I fertilized everything in the Shade Garden.


  • I sprayed the roses for blackspot.


  • I spent some time adjusting hoses - again!


  • I filled in half of the new flowerbed and planted zinnias - White Wedding, Highlight, Purple Prince, Violet Queen, and Scarlett Flame.


  • I planted two Chocolate Mints in a pot and placed it in the Infinity Garden.


  • I planted some Sweet Marjoram in the Herb Garden. Also cleaned it up a bit - pulled up some pesky mint and cut away some debris.


  • Pulled weeds in the Rose Garden.


  • Pulled weeds in the Vegetable Garden.


  • I planted some grasses in the Wave Garden:


  • Two Goldbar Grass


  • Six Golden Japanese Forest Grass (Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola')


  • Three All Gold Japanese Forest Grass (Hakonechloa macra 'All Gold')


  • Two Sarabande Grass (Miscanthus sinensis sarabande)


  • I also planted some Blackfoot Daisies (Melampodiom leucathum) in the Long Border. They should do well - they don't like a lot of moisture once they get established.


  • I planted some wormwood (Atemisia 'Powis Castle') in the Infinity Garden.


  • The Scarlett O'Hara and Heavenly Blue Morning Glory seeds are popping up that I planted last week.


  • I fertilized the rest of the fruit trees that I didn't get a chance to do last week.


  • On Sunday my husband was mowing too near the bee hive and was stung a half dozen times or more. Sunday was a cloudy day. Bees are aggressive on cloudy days.


  • My 'Maliner Kren' Horseradish has come up. I planted the roots last week.

  • Planted some Toothache Plant. Long ago the leaves were rubbed into a paste and applied around a tooth to numb the area before extraction.

  • More plants are peeping out from their winter dormancy - Firespike, Lady Baltimore Mallow, Ghost Fern, Painted Fern. I keep waiting for the Candlestick Plant to show some green, but nothing so far. I'm particularly interested in the Candlestick because I really like it and because it is planted around the pool. I want the area to be leafy and verdant.

A perfect Jessie's Song Bearded Iris flower. So pretty.










No comments:

Post a Comment