Monday, April 19, 2010

A Weekend at the Farm 04/17-18/10

This is All Gold Japanese Forest Grass 'Hakonechloa macra 'All Gold'. It is growing in the Wave Garden.


Saturday and Sunday were cloudy. I stayed busy planting lots of things that I ordered on the internet.




  • I planted 5 All Gold Japanese Forest Grasses in the Wave Garden and three Adagio Grasses (which turn red in the fall), three Black Seeded Moudry Grasses (which have dark seed heads).


  • I planted 12 hostas in the Shade Garden: three Patriots, three Krossa Regals, three Stained Glass, Alligator Shoes.


  • I also planted some Colocasias (Elepant Ears) in the Shade Garden. I planted ten Colocasia esculenta 'Illustris' and ten Colocasia fontenesii' Black Stem' and one Colocasia esculenta 'Nancy's Revenge'. The Shade Garden should be quite dramatic in a short time.


  • I planted some bulbs which are living antiques. These bulbs had largely disappeared from trade. They were rescued by Old House Bulbs and they are now for sale in limited quantities. Montbretias, St. Joseph's Lilies, and some Shenandoah Cannas. They were introduced over a hundred years ago. They each have interesting histories.


  • I planted some Eucomis comosa. Its common name is Pineapple Lily.


  • I planted Bouncing Bet in the Infinity Garden with the other medicinal herbs.

  • Finally, I planted two Salvia greggii 'Heatwave Glimmer'. This blooms a creamy white.

  • My daughter, Blake, and Josh came on Saturday. Josh mowed the paths - what a help! Blake sprayed the paths with herbicide. One less thing. Next weekend is out Crawfish Boil. So there's lots to do.
This is an unopened Red Hot Poker.

No comments:

Post a Comment