Sunday, April 24, 2011

What's Blooming Now - Cornflowers 04/22/2010

Blue was the original color of Cornflowers. They are also commonly called Bachelor's Buttons. Now they come in shades of pink, white, and red.




What a beautiful pale pink! So delicate.


The color blue is a relatively rare flower color in nature. There a much fewer blue flowers than any other color. Bees are known to be particularly attracted to blue flowers.


In my gardens it is very hard to find a flower without an insect in it. That's the sign of a healthy garden. I rarely, rarely spray. It is dangerous to the health of my bee hive, and insecticides are not particular - they kill everything, good and bad insects. It is better to practice good gardening habits such as good air circulation, regular mulching, regular watering, a steady fertilization schedule, lots of study. Learn about the plants you buy, and understand what they need in order to remain healthy.


This is a great photograph. Cornflowers are beautiful subjects.




These Cornflowers are growing in my orchard. Next year I will plant black berries in this spot. The blackberry plants were so expensive that I couldn't buy as many as I originally hoped.


This is a hedge row of Cornflowers not yet in full bloom.


Here is another row of Cornflowers growing under my grape vines. Lots of buds, not yet in full bloom. I will encourage these to reseed and come back next year because I cannot plant anything substantial under the grapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment