Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Weekend at the Farm 06/24-26/2011

I was sitting on the back porch drinking coffee. It looked so pretty down the hill so I snapped this picture.
We found a poor, dead little fawn in the yard on Friday morning.
I sprayed herbicide in the Vegetable Garden and around the driveway.
I pulled up the corn (it had been pulled down by the raccoons and all the corn was stripped - that's okay, we ate plenty of it) and turned over the soil in the two beds where it was growing.
The deer ate the tops off of every single sunflower that was growing in the Vegetable Garden. It had to be deer because the plants were not pulled over. The plants were as straight as could be, they just had no flowers! And those flowers were big plus there are about 40 plants!
We drove into Carmine to buy some beer and we saw a tom turkey! It was walking along the edge of the woods. Neat. About a month ago we saw a female turkey on our road.
We sat in the screened in porch on Saturday evening and rocked in the rockers for a long time. We watched the little rabbits hopping around down the hill.
For dinner ate tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden Saturday night. Also roasted squash from the garden. I don't like that much. I won't plant it again.
Raked the paths in the Shade Garden.
It rained last week! 3 inches in the rain gauge when we got there. Yes, finally. Not nearly enough, but we sure needed it.
Swam in the pool most of Sunday, drank beer and listened to Honky Tonk on the satellite radio.
Pulled weeds in the Long Border.
Pulled up some of the dried up cornflowers in The Orchard, pulled all the seed heads off and threw them around the beds. A bee started chasing me really aggressively. He chased me all the way up the boardwalk. I went back down again, and he did the same thing again! I decided to wait a bit before I went down again to finish pulling up the cornflowers, but I never went back. It was too hot.
The deer ate all the peaches off the peach trees. They weren't even ripe! In fact they left several of them on the ground, teeth marks all over them. Too sour to finish I guess.
The Orchard is pretty well nibbled. All the blackberry vines are munched on, and all the blueberries are gone from my blueberry bushes. The leaves of one of the plum trees are almost completely gone.
Fertilized in the Star Garden with liquid fertilizer and rain water from my rain barrels. Then thew down dried fertilizer in the Rose Garden, the Shade Garden, the Long Border, and on the asparagus in the Vegetable Garden.
Weeded, weeded, weeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment