Friday, August 17, 2012

A Day at the Farm August 17, 2012


We drove up Thursday night and came home on Friday afternoon.  The family is coming to my house for my dad's birthday on Saturday evening.
  • We bought these two water containers off of Craig's List for $75 each.  We are going to use them to collect rain water.  They each hold 250 gallons.  They are taller than I am.  Actually, I think we are going to give one of them away.  In order to collect water efficiently, there has to be a gutter coming off the roof leading into the opening in the top of the container.  Well, they are pretty unsightly, and I don't want it sitting next to the house.  So we'll put a gutter on the shed, and the cistern can sit next to the shed out of the line of sight.  I don't want one next to the house.  So we will only have need for one of them.  We can't put a gutter on the Greenhouse because the container is taller than the Greenhouse - the gutter system won't work.  These things are really big!
  • I worked in the Orchard Friday morning.  I pulled up all the salvias.  They were overgrown, and they were no longer blooming.  I pulled up lots weeds.  I sprayed herbicide.  I hauled off 4 wheelbarrows of debris.  I deadheaded zinnias.
  • I planted green beans in a bed in the Orchard that I prepared last weekend.
  • The okra is doing really well.  Looks very pretty, about one foot tall.
  • I watched the butterflies throughout the day.  They fill me with a sense of well being.
  • Sprayed herbicide in the Vegetable Garden and the Star Garden.
  • Good day.   

No comments:

Post a Comment