Sunday, August 26, 2012

Spider Lilies August 26, 2012

Spider Lilies are also called Hurricane Lilies because they appear at the start of hurricane season.  Spider lilies like benign neglect.  The soil shouldn't be too rich, and the water shouldn't be too plentiful.  After the flowers finish blooming the greenery appears.  The greenery, which is slender and not tall, stays around until very early spring/late winter, and then it disappears.  For every bloom that springs up, there are a half dozen bulbs under the ground that didn't bloom.  They can be dug up and planted in other places.  But be patient.  After a bulb is dug up and moved, it won't bloom for several years.  Spider lilies sulk a bit after being moved. 
I remember being at my grandma's house many years ago, maybe thirty years ago.  It was in the fall.  On the side of her house there were hundreds of spider lilies springing up in the lawn.  I never forgot it, it was quite a sight  I've wished many times that I had dug up some of her bulbs and planted them in my garden.  But I wasn't much of a gardener back then, I was so young.



No comments:

Post a Comment