Sunday, June 23, 2013

Muscadine Grapes June 23, 2013

 I have 3 muscadine grape vines in my Orchard.  This is the first year they have produced grapes.  The vines are 3 years old.  Grapes need cross pollination to produce, so I have 2 female vines and one male.  The male is Ison.  The females are both Black Beauty.  My goal is to produce grapes to make grape jelly, I have no interest in trying to make wine.
As the vines mature through the years they will begin to produce more heavily.  You have to have a lot of grapes in order for the animals to carry most of them off and still have enough to make jelly!  All animals like grapes.  The birds, the deer, the raccoon all love them.
Muscadines can handle the Texas heat and humidity.  They can be found growing wild all through the woods in Texas.  They have been fun to grow!  I'm excited to finally have grapes!



No comments:

Post a Comment