Monday, February 17, 2014

Early Daffodils February 16, 2014

I do not know what any of these three varieities are.  The daffodil in the top photo popped up amongst some Ehrlicheers.  It is a mystery, the Ehrlicheers have been there for years, and I have never seen this flower bloom.
In the photo above, I dug up the bulbs from the yard of a deserted house.  The flowers are shorter than the greenery, and the greenery stands straight up - could be Narcissus linnaeus odorous, but really it could be anything.  There are thousands of varieties of narcissus.  There are not a lot of  yellow daffodils that naturalize in the south, though, so that reduces the number of possibilities/
This was growing in my yard in Houston, but I have not the faintest recollection of planting it.  All I know is that year after year the some greenery would sprout, but it would never bloom.  Last winter I dug up the clump.  It turned out to more than 50 bulbs that had multiplied into a ball of tangled roots.  I separated them and planted them in four different places in Burton - next to the Bermuda's Kathleen rose, around the dead oak in the Rose Garden, in the bed next to the big arbor, and near the Peggy Martin Rose.  This one is just beginning to bloom, it looks like it will have six blooms to a stalk.  They all have buds on them.  They just needed a little tender-loving care, I guess.  I'm so surprised they are blooming, and even more surprised that I don't remember planting them.  I'm so curious what they are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment