Sunday, November 23, 2014

Day at the Farm November 23, 2014

 This is my Yuletide Camellia.  I have two of them, growing on either side of the faux door of the greenhouse.  Very pretty.  They are not prolific bloomers, particularly the one on the left, they probably need a little more indirect light than they are receiving.  I'm pretty good about fertilization, so I'm not sure about why they don't bloom more.  I also have a couple of White By The Gate Camellias and one Debutante Camellia. 



Came up on Sunday morning.  Saturday evening we went to Josh and Amy's house to meet my future in laws and her brother Eric.  Mom, Dad, Mark, and Jere were there as well.  Very nice evening and lovely meal.  Her folks are very nice people.
  • Bought a set of red onions and some sweet pea seeds at a nursery near the house in Houston.  
  • Turned over one of the beds in the Vegetable Garden, added some fertilizer, and planted the onions.
  • Soaked the sweet peas and planted some of them in the barrel that I planted the lily bulbs in last week.  That's probably not a good idea, but I did it anyway.
  • Planted the rest of them on a trellis in the Star Garden near the path so the wonderful scent can be enjoyed close up.  Surrounded the trellis with chicken wire - rabbits love sweet pea seedlings.
  • I decided to surround the Orchard with chicken wire because I can't abide the rabbit activity down there.  They ate all my fall green beans, and I've had it with the little bastards.  I bought an electric staple gun  on Saturday, dragged the extension cord all the way down the hill and started stapling the chicken wire to the back side of the fence.  I used most of the chicken wire I had on hand.  Due to the length of the extension cord, the stapler's power was not 100%.  There is something wrong with the outlet down by the pool so I had to use one of the outlets at the back porch.  Not sure what to do about that, need to get an electrician out here I guess.  I got one side of the Orchard finished today.  I can't reach the back fence with the amount of extension cord I have, but if I use more extension cord the power of the stapler gets even weaker.  Conundrum.
  • Raked pine straw that was on one of the trails and mulched my Lady Banks rose, under the butterfly bush, and under the Harlequin Glorybower.
  • Spread grass clippings around my Sassafrass tree.  The crinums I got from Janine, which are planted next the tree, are really spreading.  There are half a dozen tiny ones coming up.
  • It was a beautiful day - sunny and cool.  Such a great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment