Sunday, August 9, 2015

Day at the Farm August 9, 2015



Babysat for Sam Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.  Went to a co-worker's daughter's Quincinera Saturday evening.  Bert and I went to the farm on Sunday morning for the day.
  • My focus today was mostly thinning out my crowded Erhlicheer daffodils and some clumps of my bearded irises.  
  • I dug around in only one spot in my Erhlicheer bed in the Star Garden and unearthed about 25 bulbs near the surface.  They have multiplied vigorously over the years since I planted the original 100.  I planted most of them in the new ginger bed by the greenhouse where the Toad Lily used to be.  I planted a few in the bed with the flowering almond shrubs.  
  • Forked up clumps of Missy Prissy Bearded Iris in the Orchard, separated them and replanted some of them in that spot, some of them in the Orchard bed with the Mayhaw, and some of them in the Rose Garden - in the bed with Chorale and in the bed with Belinda's Dream.
  • Forked up clumps of Persian Berry Bearded Iris and replanted some in the same spot, some next to my red cannas and Climbing Pinkie rose.  Also planted some in the bed with my Noisette roses and my Iceberg Rose in the Rose Garden.  I am planning to move quite a few bearded iris into the Rose Garden this fall.  I can do that throughout the month of August and into September.  I will also move some more Ehrlicheer bulbs.
  • Watered all the iris I planted. 
  • Fed the bees.  I fed them about two weeks ago.  I'm trying to strengthen the hive.
  • The armadillos are, once again, tearing everything up in the Star Garden.  They will stop once the weather turns cool. Yet another reason to long for cooler weather.
  • Put down a bag of grass clippings on one of the beds in the Orchard that seems to get particularly weedy.  Pulled weeds as I laid it down over the soil.
  • Watered a few beds in the Greenhouse Gardens that were really dry.  Used the hose and spent about twenty minutes watering those beds.  Not to state the obvious, but August is hot.  It's pretty difficult to work outside for any sustained period.
  • It may be my imagination, but the Rose Garden seems to look much better since I watered it so thoroughly last Wednesday when I came up for the day.
  • Bert connected two hoses together in the Star Garden so I can hand water some of the driest places in the Star Garden.  I spent some time watering in there.  
  • Watered the pots around the pool.
  • Every single grape on my grape arbor is gone.  I was here Wednesday, they were still green, on Sunday they were all gone.  Arrgh!  Damn deer. 
  • Next week I will fork up my Victoria Falls bearded iris and move them to the Rose Garden and to a few beds in the Star Garden.  And I will dig up more Ehrlicheer daffodils.
  • The morning glories and moon flower seeds I planted a few weeks ago are starting to climb their trellises.  And the zinnia seeds I have been sowing are coming along nicely.  We should have a showy fall.   

No comments:

Post a Comment