Sunday, August 30, 2015

Hurrican Lilies August 30, 2015

Hurricane Lily (Lycoris) is so named because its bloom time coincides with the start of hurricane season.  They pop out of the ground before any greenery appears.  The leaves grow after the bloom dies back.  The greenery endures until the hottest part of the summer at which time it turns brown and dies away.  They are good multipliers, and last year I dug up some clumps in the Circle bed where most of them are growing and planted bulbs around some of the trees in the other Circle flowerbeds.  I also have some growing in the Rose Garden in the bed with my Bailey Red rose.  I am going to dig up more this year as soon as they finish their bloom.  Lycoris likes to be planted very shallow, with their neck just out of the ground.
 Above, the bed at the back of the photo is one of the beds where I planted some of my offsets.





 Above, I planted some of my offsets in both of these beds last year.
 Below, the bed in the back of the picture, I planted some bulbs last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment