Sunday, October 4, 2015

Weekend at the Farm October 2 - 4, 2015


Arrived Friday evening.  Bert was already here.  William, Kim, Nathan, Jess, Zelda, Henry, Oliver and Wes came for the weekend.  Bert and I let then have the bedrooms, and we camped out in the tent by the bonfire.  Beautiful, cool night.  We had a fish fry and roasted marshmallows.
  • Didn't do much gardening, Zelda keeps me pretty busy making mud pies, playing in the tree house, taking rides around the property, jumping on sheet puffs, and putting on lip stick. 
  • Cut down my dead butterfly magnolia.  I had trained some morning glories up around it, but it was leaning over from the weight which means it was literally good for nothing, so down it went.
  • Watered in the Rose Garden for about two hours.
  • Dug up some iris from the beds in the Circle Drive and replaced some dead iris in the Rose Garden.  
  • Raked pine needles and mulched a couple beds in the Rose Garden. 
  • Weeded everywhere.  
  • Cut away Hoja Santa that has spread  to places I don't want it to be. 
  • Raked all the paths in the Star Garden.  It looks much better in there.
  • Watered in the Star Garden for an hour or so.
  • Sprayed herbicide in the Rose Garden and the Star Garden.
  • Watched the butterflies.  So pretty.  I saw one Monarch.  The weather was so beautiful this weekend.  Watching butterflies seemed like the best use of my time while I was in the garden.
  • Sprayed herbicide in the Orchard.
  • Weeded in the Orchard.  The zinnias I have been working so hard to get going before the first freeze have finally begun to bloom - white, light pink, dark pink, coral, red, yellow, purple.  Finally starting to look good down there.  Never again will I thin my zinnias.  I will spread the seed and let all of them grow together in a tangle.  It's a prettier show.
  • I raked in the Infinity Garden around the Greenhouse.  
  • Rested for about an hour then headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment