Friday, October 23, 2015

Weekend at the Farm October 23 - 25, 2015


Rainy weekend.  Came up on Thursday evening.  Bert and I drove back into Houston for Sam's one year old birthday party.  Time is flying away and taking it with me as an unwilling hitch hiker. Back to the farm on Saturday evening until Sunday afternoon.
  • The weight of the rain brought down a very big water logged limb off the dead tree in the Rose Garden.  It fell on the Dame de Coeur roses, but the damage wasn't too bad.  Bert and I picked up all the debris and hauled it to the bonfire pit.  I raked for a while and dumped all the debris over the fence.  
  • Raked up pine needles in the pine tree patch and spread them in several beds in the Rose Garden.
  • My Elbon Rye seed in the Vegetable Garden has sprouted.  It looks like a green dust across the tops of all the beds.  Sure hope it doesn't attract deer!  
  • Sowed some bluebonnet seeds in a couple beds in the Rose Garden.  Seeds from past seasons have already sprouted.  
  • Saturday morning couldn't sleep, up before the sun.  Sat on the porch with my coffee and listened to the rain.  Left for Houston about 10 and returned about six.
  • Sunday morning, still raining steady.  A huge oak fell over across the driveway.  We had noticed that it was pulling away from the earth and leaning to one side when we were having the huge rains last spring.  The rains over the last two days finally did it in.  We spent some time Sunday morning clearing away enough of it so that we could get the cars out.  And we worked until the burn pile was so massive that we thought we needed to burn some debris off before we loaded more debris on top of the pile.
  • Since I was already soaked through, I decided to seed some of the beds in the Rose Garden with the wildflower seeds I ordered.  I loosened the top soil and spread California Poppy, Tickseed, and Corn Poppy seed in six or so of my beds.  The rain will beat them down.
  • I dug up Ox Eye Daisy plants that were growing in paths and re-planted them in the Star Garden and the Greenhouse Gardens.
  • Mopped the master bath and bedroom and the kitchen.  Vacuumed everywhere.  Cleaned the shower in the master.  
  • Walked around once more - in the rain.  Headed home about 4:00.  The rain never let up all weekend.  Didn't get much of anything done outside.  I'd sure like to spray herbicide one more time before the temperatures drop.

No comments:

Post a Comment