Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Weekend at the Farm September 23 - 25, 2016


Got to the farm about 6:30.
Bert pushed me in the tree swing in between tending the fire in the grill.  I watched the fire flies flash as the sky turned pink.
Saturday morning up early.  I couldn't get back to sleep after 5 so I got up and watched Game of Thrones on my IPad.
I began watering my roses first thing.  I put the sprinkler on the smallest setting and began watering each rose bed for 15 minutes.
My newest roses, Beverly and Mrs B. R. Cant look good, not suffering from lack of water.
I deadheaded my Belinda's Dream roses and my Heritage rose.
I cut away Indigo Spires Salvia that was leaning out into the paths.
Worked in Josh's Garden for a while cutting away anything leaning into the paths.  I also raked the paths, they were littered with fallen leaves and little branches.  I pulled up Snakeroot that was crowding out my ferns and gingers.
Napped for a bit.  I felt a little feverish and sore throatish.
Went back outside to the Medicine Garden and cut away elderberry branches that were leaning into paths.
Sprayed herbicide in the paths of the Medicine Garden and in a few spots in the Star Garden.
Sunday morning I dug up several clumps of Easy Ned day lilies, separated them into smaller clumps and replanted them in various places.  I planted 8 small clumps in the bed along the back of the house.  I planted 5 or so in the front bed and one in the Star Garden.
Continued watering individual roses in the Rose Garden.
Deadheaded roses while I watered.
Puttered around from one garden to another pulling weeds and admiring the flowers.
Loaded a wheel barrow full of mulch that I scraped together from the remnants of my mulch pile and spread it between two La Marne roses.
After lunch I went down to the Orchard with hedge trimmers and a rake.  I sheared my big group of red and pink annual salvia.  I'll get a big, final show of bloom for fall.
As I'm writing this I am on the front porch watching the rain.  It's a pretty good little shower.  The rain is pouring off the roof and filling our rain buckets.  The sky is completely covered in dark clouds, so the sunshine has been replaced by twilight .


No comments:

Post a Comment