Sunday, November 6, 2016

Sunday at the Farm November 6, 2016

 The first camellia of the season - Debutante.

I babysat for sweet Koy on Saturday night.  Drove up to the farm on Sunday morning.  Bert was hunting and arrived about 1:00. 
  • Our neighbor, Jeff, called me on Saturday because he was extracting his honey.  He invited me to bring my comb to his place and extract my honey since he had all his equipment set up.  I wasn't able to do that because I was in Houston, but when I arrived on Sunday I checked on my hive.  I have honey, but I didn't feel I had enough to go through all the work.  A lot of comb was not filled at all.
  • I got my bulbs in the mail that I ordered from Old House - 25 Trevithian daffodils.  I don't ordinarily order from them because they are extremely expensive.  But apparently some bulbs I ordered from them in the past were discovered to be incorrectly labelled so they were offering refunds.  So I ordered the Trevithians. I planted them in the Daffodil Border along with about 15 or so other daffodil bulbs I had stuck in a basket after they had been unearthed by the armadillos.
  • I thought I had some Sevin dust to sprinkle over my cabbages and collards in the Vegetable Garden, but alas no.  So I picked all the caterpillars off my plants and squashed them.  Three of them are okay, but one cabbage has been chewed into lace.  It'll be okay, but I can't be here every day to pick the worms off my plants.
  • I weeded and mulched two beds down in the Orchard.
  • I pulled up a bunch of spent ageratum in the Star Garden and seeded it with wildflower seeds.  I threw the ageratum into one of the beds in the Circle Drive so I can get that area going with ageratum.  It does fine in shade. 
  • I spread some dill seed in the Star Garden, and I spread some fennel seed in the Vegetable Garden.  
  • I fertilized my sweet peas and all my new vegetable plants in the Vegetable Garden and in the Star Garden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment