Friday, November 4, 2016

Weekend at the Farm October 28 - 30, 2016


Arrived Thursday evening for a long weekend. Went to JW's for dinner.  Invited the family to come on Sunday.  Mom, Dad, Blake and Sam, and Amy, Josh, and Koy were able to make it.  I'm so glad I got a chance to show them the butterflies!
  • Friday morning I pulled up about 4 feet of purple trailing lantana.  It spreads pretty aggressively and had taken over a lot of valuable real estate.  I spread my wildflower seeds in its place and mulched along the edge of the path.
  • I pulled up all the faded Ageratum next to my Gruss an Achaan rose, mulched and spread wildflower seed in an area I left un-mulched.
  • Next I went to my Rose Edge garden and raked away the leaves so that I left two wide rows.  Last year I filled the entire area with fallen leaves in order to suppress the weeds.  It has remained like that since last winter and remained pretty weed-free.  I seeded it with wildflower seeds.  I will plant some daffodil bulbs in there as well (I ordered 500 bulbs this year that have not yet arrived.), and there are daffodils already planted there. 
  • Saturday morning I mulched.  I loaded the cub cadet several times with mulch and spread mulch in the Circle gardens.  All the Philippine Lily seed heads are dried and open, so I spread Philippine Lily seeds across all the mulch and scratched them in. Still lots of seed left to spread!
  • I also spent some time in the Vegetable Garden mulching.
  • Tied up some canes of my Peggy Martin rose onto the gate I have it trained on.

No comments:

Post a Comment