Monday, March 27, 2017

Weekend at the Farm March 25-26, 2017

These are the first of many larkspur blooms.



It rained on Friday evening, but it was beautiful weather all weekend.
  • The daylilies I ordered online from Roots and Rhizomes arrived last week, so I spent all day Saturday planting them in the Orchard.  It was a 48 Tetraploid Mix of pastels (it was a good deal, but I don't know the name of any of them unfortunately).  Planting 48 daylilies took me all day.  Digging the holes, filling each hole with water to get some good moisture in there, planting them, covering them with soil and watering them in real well.  I also bought a pack of 6 red tetraploid daylilies whcih I'll plant tomorrow.  While I was in the Orchard I weeded, and I had a truckload of mulch so I mulched wherever I weeded.  I was working near the bee hive, but the bees never bothered me a bit.
  • Sunday I loaded the cub with mulch six or seven times and worked in the Boardwalk beds.  I cleaned up the area where the peach gingers are growing and mulched it out.  And I cleaned out the area where the butterfly gingers are growing and mulched the area.  There were lots of leaves to clear out (I keep some of the leaves in there to rot, but I rake out most of them when I have mulch to lay down).  I was clearing out the leaves with my hands around my Spanish Bluebells and - boom - copperhead.  I saw it just in time.  Bert shot it - I can't have those things so close to the house.
  • I cut back the dead debris off some of my Pam Puryear Pink Turks Cap along the Boardwalk.
  • Watered all the plants in pots around the pool and in the Star Garden.  
  • Watered in the Rose Garden and some of the beds in the Star Garden.
  • Weeded, weeded weeded.
  • I planted a pack of 6 red Tetraploid mixed daylilies from Roots and Rhizomes, also in the Star Garden.
  • Sprayed herbicide in the driveway, the Rose Garden, the Vegetable Garden, the Shade Garden, the Medicine Garden, the Greenhouse Gardens, the Orchard, and the Star Garden.  Whew!  Well, I won't be back for two weeks or more, so I needed to get that done or the weeds will be too tall to kill before the Crawfish Boil.
  • Headed home Sunday evening.  

No comments:

Post a Comment