Sunday, July 30, 2017

Weekend at the Farm July 29 - 30, 2017




This is basil.  I bought two types of basil this year.  I believe this is Siam Queen basil.  The flowers are extremely decorative, and the scent is very spicy.  I also grew purple stem basil.  That one was really gorgeous.  It has a large, rounded form with long spikes of purple flowers.  A real show stopper in the garden.  Both of them are pretty.  

Arrived Friday evening, left Sunday midday.  Hot.  Texas in July.

  • It's that time of year when most plants are struggling.  
  • I spend most of my time watering in the places where I don't have automatic sprinklers installed.
  • Watered in the Rose Garden in the morning.
  • I loaded three loads of mulch into the cadet and spread it across the Daffodil Border.
  • Weeded in the Star Garden.  
  • I spent some time in the Vegetable garden deadheading zinnias and pulling up the last three tomato plants.  I pulled all the bird netting off the goat wire arbor as well.  I spread zinnia seed in the beds.  And I cut back some Mexican Sunflowers that were getting really unruly. 
  • Deadheaded my Giant Rudbeckia in the Star Garden and took a bunch of seed heads down to the Orchard.  I have an area in one bed that is kind of like a dead zone - nothing much grows there.  I spread the seed throughout the area.  First I roughed up the soil, then I tamped it down after I spread the seed.  The seed heads made a lot of seed - hundreds.  Hopefully come next spring I will have lots of seedlings.  Giant Rudbeckia is a perennial, so I'm hoping this solves my dead zone problem permanently.
  • Watered in the Star Garden.
  • Sunday.  Continued watering in the Rose Garden and the Star Garden.  
  • I lost a couple more roses.  Lady Hillingdon is gone and Soncy is gone.  Maybe Julia Childs too, I will know for sure next weekend.
  • I spent some time weeding in the Star Garden.  I filled the wheelbarrow several times with weeds and plants that were leaning into the paths.
  • Sprayed herbicide - a little in the Shade Garden and driveway, the Rose Garden and here and there in the Star Garden.
  • We left about noon to go home, get cleaned up and go to Mom and Dad's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment