Sunday, August 6, 2017

Weekend at the Farm August 5 - 6, 2017


Here are a couple of things blooming despite the drought.  John Fannick Phlox and purple zinnia.

Hot and dry.  We were hoping for rain, but as of Sunday afternoon it had missed us.  Blake and family came up for a visit for the day on Saturday, we had a very nice day.
  • Cleaned house early Saturday morning - vacuumed, mopped  and laid down floor shine.  Cleaned bathrooms.
  • Sunday morning up early again.  It was overcast in the morning so I was able to work a lot longer than I would have been able on a normal sunny day.
  • I went out the the Rose Garden to start watering.  Bert came out there to repair the cedar posts that surround the Noisettes.  I had him cut a huge weed (basically a small tree growing in the middle of one of them.  I spent the next two hours dragging around the hose and trimming away at my Noisettes.  I cut away dead canes and dead twigs.  I cut and trimmed until I was able to pull the small tree / huge weed out from the middle of the rose bush.  I was wearing my leather rose gloves or I would have been very cut up.  I crawled in the flowerbed and cut away low-growing canes and pulled up all the day flower that was thriving underneath.  Day flower is the worst weed ever.  Succulent six inch long roots that don't want to be pulled out - it's like they are grabbing the dirt with all their might.  Every one is an effort to pull up and they colonize quickly.  Then I pulled up all the day flower growing around my two Belinda's Dream roses.  Made several huge piles of debris and threw it all over the fence onto the neighbors' property.  They can't see my trash pile from their house, but it is technically on their property.  
  • Swam in the pool to cool off. 
  • Went back out after lunch and worked in the Star Garden for a bit.  I cut some more seed heads off my Giant Rudbeckia and spread them in the Orchard.  While I was there I pulled up some leggy zinnias and pulled some weeds.  
  • That was it for me, inside to rest and get ready to go home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment