Monday, February 11, 2019

Weekend at the Farm Feb 2 - 3, 2019

Bert and I drove together on Friday evening after work.  It is our 19th anniversary.  We went to LuLu's in Roundtop for dinner on Saturday night.
  • Friday night I walked around for about an hour with a flashlight looking at everything.
  • Saturday morning - I see lots of hog activity in my meadow, they have rooted up lots of earth right where the largest concentration of my wildflower seedlings are growing.  We've been lucky through the years regarding hogs. This time and only once before have we seen what is clearly a large group of hogs move though the area around the house in such a destructive way.  I fear for my Daffodil Border.  It is exposed.  
  • My paperwhites are about a week away from being at their peak.  They are very pretty right now.  Last night their scent was heavy on the air.  Last summer at a plant swap, my neighbor Debra brought a sack full of Ehrlicheer bulbs.  I guess due to the oppressive heat of the summer, I didn't grab any of them.  I could kick myself.  I should have taken them and planted them around trees, etc. 
  • The daffodils in the Daffodil Border are loaded with buds.  We have had quite a warm winter so far, and I think they are farther along than they should be at this point.  February is always cold.  But, I guess that Mother Nature knows what she is doing.
  • I spent some time in the Orchard transplanting Kiowa blackberry canes from flowerbeds over to the blackberry beds in the Orchard.  At first I tried to carefully dig around them so I could gently pull them up with roots, but they broke off despite my efforts.  So then I just pulled them right out of the ground.  Some of them had the feathery roots , some only the fibrous runner roots.  But I'm hoping for the best.  I planted them and watered them in.  I never thought I'd see the day when I was doing anything other than yanking them up from unwanted places and throwing them in the debris pile, but they've thinned out a bit, and I love blackberries.
  • I spent about an hour in my Woodland Glen cutting down yaupon and treating the cut with poison.  Bert says I've officially run out of stuff to do since I'm clearing out my woods one yaupon at a time.  Although he helped me last weekend, he thinks I'm crazy.  But it looks really pretty in there.  I've made a lot of headway.  I've figured out how to successfully cut trunks with the loppers that are about 5 fingers thick.  I was needing Bert and his chain saw for that prior to my new-found knowledge.  He's super helpful, but a bull in the china shop.  I'm making large leaps now that I can cut down the bigger yaupon with the loppers.   I envision the grandkids here five years from now building a fort in the woods.  You can't traverse these woods because the yaupon is so thick.  So I'm clearing out a section of the dense undergrowth in preparation for that future adventure.
  • Since I had my oil can and loppers, I decided to cut yaupon away from the neighbor's barbed wire fence along the back of the property.  Bert and I noticed last weekend that he had been cutting some growth away from the fence line, in fact he cut down a cedar that was growing up through the fence.  It was growing on our side of the fence.  I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I've been concerned about the small stands of yaupon that are multiplying along that fence line, so I spent some time cutting and poisoning.  It's the good neighborly thing to do.
  • Next I transplanted Ox Eyes from paths to a bed in the Medicine Garden.
  • And I dug up some more Philippine Lily seedlings from paths and planted them in the Shade Garden.  I feel like this is much more of an accomplishment than moving Ox Eyes, because the lilies will be there forever, but the Ox Eyes come and go depending on the amount of water they get.  And the unruly seedlings from Ox Eyes have to be moved or killed.
  • I read an email from the Washington County Bee Society that it was time to feed the bees.  Actually, the note read that we should try to lift up the hive, and if we could lift it, then we needed to feed the bees right away.  I can't imagine my hive ever being light enough to lift, even if it was empty.  So I went ahead and fed them.  
  • The Sweetness Daffodils that I planted some weeks ago have now all emerged from the ground.  And most of the Spanish Bluebells are up.  The Silver Bells (ornithagalum nutans) have not appeared yet although they were planted at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment