Sunday, March 31, 2019

Trip to the Farm March 22 - 23, 2019


  • Josh and Amy are having a total re-do of their front yard, so they offered me (I asked for) all the plants they didn't want.  I went over to their house on Friday morning and loaded lots of ferns and amaryllis bulbs and a few little woodland cannas into my Mini Cooper, then headed to the farm.
  • I planted all the ferns in the Shade Garden and watered them in well.  These are not Southern Wood Ferns of which I have many.  These are a different variety, perhaps Autumn Fern, but not sure.  At any rate, very pretty and different - and I saved my tons of money!  If I had tried to buy the equivalent amount of ferns for myself, it would have been very expensive.  So I'm excited about them.  There were 10 or so very large transplants.
  • I planted the little woodland cannas in the sunny part of the Shade Garden.  It's pretty dry over there, but if anything can make, a canna can.  They remind me of Daisy Delite cannas, but neither Amy nor I know the real name of them.
  • Fertilized here and there in the Shade Garden as I went along.
  • I also snagged eight or so amaryllis, I think they are orange and white.  One of them has a bud on it, so I will know soon.  I planted them in a group in the Long Border.
  • Very excited about my new plants.
  • After that all I did was move gravel.  I couldn't get the cadet started, which meant I couldn't finish the Orchard.  So I worked on the Star Garden.  I could see that my pile of gravel was going to run out before I finished, and I really can't afford to get another load, so I started covering all the paths that are most visible and most frequented (as opposed to working from the back to the front). 
  • The weather is so beautiful right now.  I saw Red Admirals, Tiger Swallowtails, Giant Swallowtails, the black and blue swallowtails, Monarchs, and Sulphurs. 
  • Watered in the Rose Garden.  I need new timers in the Medicine Garden and the Rose Garden.  They have gotten unreliable.  One day I will show up and see that a sprinkler has been running for five days or something.
  • I walked the Meadow.
  • Did some weeding in the Orchard along the grape arbor. 
  • I weeded in the lower Boardwalk Garden, and I cut back all the dead Red Wave Canna and White Butterfly Ginger vegetation.
  • The Ox Eye daisies are beginning to bloom.  I love my cheerful daisies.
  • Headed back to Houston on Saturday early afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment