Friday, May 10, 2019

Caterpillar to Chrysalis May 10, 2019

I witnessed the most amazing thing Friday morning.  There were 4 black swallowtail caterpillars on some dill I had growing in a pot.  I moved them last weekend close to the wheelbarrow where they could climb into the parsley (in case they totally devoured the dill).  Well, this morning I noticed one of the caterpillars was slightly curled, and I figured it was about to make a chrysalis.  I was right.  A mere two hours later it had completely transformed from a caterpillar into a chrysalis.  I was truly amazed.  I guess it makes sense that the transformation would occur quickly (because they are so vulnerable during the metamorphosis), but two hours really struck me as incredible.

In the picture below, the shape of the caterpillar was odd-looking which drew my attention.  You can see that all the little feet are already starting to disappear.
 Two hours later I went outside to check on it, and this is what it looked like.  I couldn't believe it happened so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment