Sunday, May 19, 2019

Weekend at the Farm May 18, 2019



 Arrived on Friday evening.  Bert was already here mowing, etc.  Will, Kim and the kids came up on Saturday and spent the night, left after breakfast.
  • I was really surprised at how dry everything was.  It rained so much last weekend and the entire previous week that I turned off the sprinklers.  My pot of fennel was practically dead, I don't know if it will bounce back.   
  • I spent Saturday morning in the Star Garden pulling weeds.  I also watered in the Rose Garden.
  • I did more culling - pulling up brown eyed Susans and spent wildflowers in the Rose Garden.  I'm hoping that next weekend the Coreopsis seed heads will be dry and  I will be able to pull up the plants and spread the seeds.  They are at the floppy stage and therefore not pretty.  
  • I staked a few verbena bonariensis stands.  The iris and Montbretia are leaning into the paths in the Star Garden.  I kept brushing against them and promising myself I would stake them.
  • Zelda, Henry and I picked a bowlful of blackberries.
  • Sunday after the kids left, I sprayed herbicide here and there in the Star Garden, the Rose Garden, and the Orchard.
  • There are plums all over the ground in the Orchard, and many broken branches.  The raccoons have obviously found the plums, and they are decimating them.  It's so hot that I can't get up the energy to go down there with a ladder and pick plums.  I'm not acclimated to the heat yet and I really suffered all weekend. 
  • Watered in the Rose Garden throughout the day on Sunday.
  • I dug up some plugs of Southern Wood Fern in the Shade Garden that had spread into a path, and I moved it to shady beds in the Star Garden.
  • Bert and I got all the sprinklers set up in the Medicine Garden and the Rose Garden.  Up until now I have not had the timers on for sprinklers.  The hoses have all been rolled up since the winter (except for one that I drag around in the Rose Garden.
  • Did some more weeding.
  • Headed home Monday morning.




No comments:

Post a Comment