Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Day at the Farm January 1, 2020


New Years Eve - dinner at Brennan's with Bert, Mom, Dad, Gretchen, Keith, Beckett, Josh, Amy, Nancy and Lisa.  Played games at Nancy's.  Drove to the farm the next morning.
  • Mostly, I just raked leaves and dumped them behind the Vegetable Garden for later use.  Fallen leaves are a very important part of my gardening - the conditioning of my soil.  I rake up as many as my energy level and my interest level will allow.  The more the better.
  • I watered my new camellias.
  • I watered in the Rose Garden.  It's really dry.  
  • My seedlings are coming along nicely.  There are seedlings and small plantlets everywhere in the Rose Garden:  coreopsis, verbena, poppies, daisies, brown eyed Susans, blue bonnets, tall poppy mallow, Johnny jump ups, purple phacelia, spurred snapdragon. It's so much fun seeing everything grow. 
  • Unfortunately, the sprinkler system is acting up.  There does not seem to be any water pressure, and the sprinklers don't rotate in the Star Garden.  They just spray in one spot.  I will have to find someone to come out and take a look.  There is a leak somewhere or some such problem, I will have to get it resolved before the summer temperatures set in.  If this happened in June or July, etc., I would be in a complete panic.
  • A few things I did during my short stay last weekend:  I planted more herbs in the Kitchen Herb Garden - 2 oregano , 2 winter savory, 5 marjoram, and 1 sage.  I planted 3 wormwood in the Medicine Garden.
  • Last weekend I also planted 6 Summer Nocturne Crinums in the Long Border.  Crinums do well in the Long Border - they do well anywhere.  Nothing can kill them.Without regular irrigation in the bed, I have decided to resort to bulbs such as crinums, paperwhites, and amaryllis. Over the last two seasons I have also added 3 altheas.  I've been impressed with their drought tolerance.
  • Drove in to work on Thursday morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment