Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Mexican Turks Cap December 21, 2021

 Still have not had the first hard freeze, so Mexican Turks Cap is full of blooms and buds.  This is my second year for this plant.  The first year, no blooms.  The second year it came back slowly because of the historic, hard February freeze.  I kept the area clear and didn't let other plants take over its space.  And I feel well rewarded for my effort.  It looks really pretty.  As this is only my second year for growing this plant I don't know if my observations thus far will hold true over the long run.  I'm pretty certain that this perennial will get bigger every year until it reaches its ultimate height and width of 5 feet by 5 feet, maybe more.  It has died back in the winter here in my zone 8b garden and has gained all of its current height and width over the spring, summer and fall. I call this a fall bloomer because that's the only time it has bloomed for me.  Based on what I have read it can also bloom in the summer.

Below, Mexican Turks Cap next to coral red cannas.







No comments:

Post a Comment