Friday, January 28, 2022

At the Farm January 18 - 20, 2022

 

This is a close up of an Anacostia camellia bloom.

  • Tuesday.  Worked.
  • During lunch I loaded the truck with mulch and spread mulch over my small Oakleaf hydrangea and some gingers along the Boardwalk.
  • Sprayed a bit of herbicide along the edge of the back beds.  Weeded in the beds.  
  • After work I dup up some shampoo ginger roots (also known as pinecone ginger).  One root was growing in a path in the Shade Garden, and  the 4 or so others that I dug up were growing amongst my sweetspire along the Boardwalk.  In both places they were growing in pretty hostile environments.  I have been fretting that they would disappear completely one day if I didn't rescue them, and I finally did.  I planted them in the Medicine Garden, a good spot for them.  This ginger grows an interesting flowerhead shaped like a pinecone.  And it oozes a soapy substance that can be used as shampoo.  I would never shampoo my hair with it, but all the literature about pinecone ginger lists that as a use for this very interesting plant.  The pinecone flower heads look really exotic looking in floral arrangements - I have used them for that. 
  • Wednesday.  Worked.
  • During lunch I mulched my 2 new camellias - Anacostia and Professor Sargent as well as the bed area surrounding Anacostia where I reset all my amaryllis.  It's supposed to get really cold over the next 2 days, so I wanted to get that done.  
  • Headed home after work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment