Sunday, January 9, 2022

At the Farm January 3 - 10, 2022

Barely any green left in the Star Garden after the 2 hard freezes last week.  The evergreen plants in this photo are the Ox Eyes, the Giant Rudbeckia, the thyme and the wildflower seedlings.  And the weeds - ughh!

Back to a weird schedule at work while Omnicron works its way through the population that results in me being here at the farm for a majority of the time.

  • Monday. Worked.  Cold.
  • Tuesday.  Worked.
  • During lunch I worked in the Orchard spreading mulch and weeding.
  • Too dark after work to do anything in the garden.  
  • Wednesday.  Worked.  Sunny and cool and beautiful.
  • Pulled weeds in the the butterfly rose bed in the Star Garden and surrounding beds.
  • During lunch I spread 2 truckloads of mulch around some of my Oakleaf Hydrangeas along the Boardwalk.  I raked up some leaves and put them down first, then spread the mulch.  I haven't mulched my oakleaf hydrangeas in a long time, so I feel good about that.
  • Thursday.  Worked.  Sunny and cool, so gorgeous.
  • During lunch I did a bit of weeding in the Star Garden.
  • I cut away from the fence all the dead vegetation from the luffa vine.  And I cut back all the asparagus in the small bed.  I gathered up all the luffa gourds and put them in the Greenhouse to finish drying out.  I have about 15.  What in the world I'm going to do with all those luffas, I don't know.  Some of them feel squishy, so I think they will rot rather than dry out.
  • Dumped the asparagus and luffa vegetation in one of my erosion spots.
  • I planted 3 rosemary, 2 thyme and one oregano in the Kitchen Herb Garden.
  • Friday.  Worked.
  • During lunch I spread 2 truckloads of mulch in the Star Garden.  I will need to have more mulch delivered - so much area to mulch.  
  • Saturday.  I raked all morning and dumped the leaves in a very thick layer around the rest of my Oakleaf Hydrangeas along the Boardwalk and through the large bed area behind them where Beautyberry and Turk's Cap have self-sown.  
  • I began raking and dumping leaves on the other side of the Boardwalk where we have terrible run-off from the hill the pool builder created when he built the pool.  The rain runs down the hill and across a large bed area around the Boardwalk.  I got the bright idea of creating one of my erosion control debris piles in there using leaves.  I love the look of fallen leaves in my beds - not all of my beds, I use real mulch in the flowerbeds around the house and in the Rose Garden.  But leaf mulch is useful, and in the wilder areas it is the right "look". 
  • Spent some time in the Vegetable Garden pulling up my French marigolds ( dead from the freeze) and cutting the seed heads into the beds.  I pulled some weeds.  I cut away freeze damaged mustard and collard leaves and put them in the compost pile.  Raked and weeded in the area around the luffa vine that I pulled away from the fence earlier in the week.
  • I spread a thick layer of leaves around the Mexican Buckeye in Mom's Garden.  This is one of 3 Mexican Buckeyes that I planted many years ago that was not in a flowerbed.  The garden ended before the spot where this one was planted.  Now it is a big feature in Mom's Garden, right in the middle.  I did not surround it with valuable mulch at the time that I created her garden.  I used leaves, and that is what I did again on Saturday.  
  • I cleaned leaves out of a bed in the Greenhouse Garden and spread Nicotiana seeds.  There are lots of little native red Columbine seedlings in there as well.  I am giving them a fighting chance. 
  • After lunch I raked more leaves and spread them along the Boardwalk.  
  • Loaded a truckload of mulch into the cadet and spread it around my False Indigo trees along the Boardwalk.  They are right in the path of the worst erosion along the Boardwalk, and the roots are exposed, so this should help them a lot.  I spread leaves before I laid down the mulch, so they will get some good rot all through the next summer.  I'd like to prune them back so they aren't so leggy although I think that is their natural growth pattern in the wild.
  • I took a long walk through the gardens just before dusk. 
  • Sunday.  Packed up and headed home to run some errands. 


No comments:

Post a Comment