Friday, March 4, 2022

February 24 - 27, 2022

 

Hello, Johnny Jump Up!

Arrived on Thursday evening.  

  • Friday.  Worked. Very cold and no sun ever broke through.
  • I had another load of mulch delivered, this time 12 yards.  I avoid a delivery charge with 12 or more yards.
  • During lunch I loaded 2 truckloads of mulch and laid it down in the ginger bed and the Climbing Pinkie bed in the Star Garden.  I fertilized before I put down the mulch.
  • Trimmed dead vegetation off nearby milk and wine crinums growing in the wild part of the Star Garden.
  • I cut back a Henry Duelberg salvia and cut away debris from a clump of spider lilies in the Star Garden.
  • After work I braved the cold and loaded up a truckload of mulch.  I cleaned leaves out from around my hydrangeas and camellia in the Medicine Garden.  Pulled up horsetail reed that had spread here and there.  I fertilized and mulched around the hydrangeas and the camellia.  
  • I fertilized my big camellia in the Shade Garden.
  • Pruned several roses in the Star Garden and fertilized.
  • I dug up a salvia clump growing too near one of my roses.  Moved it to an open space nearby.
  • Saturday.  Very cold and drizzly all day.  I went out and worked in the rain, no time to lose with spring on the way.
  • The first thing I did was prune the pink Vitex in the Star Garden.  A lot of the branches are really thick, and it was pretty hard cutting through them.  I had to use the ladder to get to a lot of the branches.  That took over an hour.  
  • I cut down all the dead wood on the Veilchenblau rose - planted in the wrong spot years ago, it spends most of its time here on earth trying to die.  
  • I cut some dead branches off of my Snowball Bush.  
  • Loaded the cadet with mulch.  I cleaned out the Black and Blue sage bed of leaves and winter weeds.  Fertilized.  Spread mulch.  Almost finished, but not quite.  It's a big space.
  • Went out to the Vegetable Garden to look around.  Lots more carrots have sprung up.  The turnips I planted last week have popped up as well as the lettuce.  Using my scissors, I snipped the tiny larkspur seedlings that have sprouted amongst my carrots.  When I turned over the soil, to prep the carrot bed, it prompted lots of larkspur to germinate.  I don't want them in there.  
  • Loaded the cadet with mulch and spread mulch in the Dining Room bed.  Weeded winter weeds a bit before laying down the mulch.  Still more to do there.  
  • I worked in the Greenhouse Gardens for a bit.  I gathered up all the ginger dead vegetation.  I raked leaves out of the bed with the gingers, Turks Cap, hydrangeas and Hearts a Burstin'.  I cut back Turks Cap, fertilized around the gingers and hydrangeas.  More to do there.
  • I spent quite a bit of time in the Rose Garden cutting away dead vegetation:  lantanas, cigar plant, verbena, yarrow, salvia.  I pulled up oregano that was crowding other plants.  I pruned roses. 
  •  Weeded here and there in the Star Garden.
  • Sunday.  Drove to Houston to help Mom and Dad clear out their storage closet.  Lunch.  Over to Nancy's to plan our Utah road trip.  Back to Burton.
  • Monday.  Worked from Burton.  Last day of February, the permanent work schedule begins on Tuesday March 1. 
  • I sowed some nasturtium seeds in the Vegetable Garden.  I had a really big pack from 2020 so I decided to sow some before they got any older.  
  • I cut away dead winter debris in the Star Garden.  Weeded.
  • I planted a flat of Colonial White Verbena that has quickly become one of my favorite plants.  It was an excellent performer for me last hear.  Never stopped blooming all winter, spring, summer and fall.  Stayed green through the harshest freeze.  I planted it in the Star Garden.  
    Planted 2 red yarrow in the Star Garden.
  • I set up 2 more anti-deer barriers in the Rose Garden.  Tall rebar with chicken wire that sort of surrounds the rose.  I think, but time will tell, that the deer can't get to the roses.  On a positive note, Bert has finally had it with the horrible looking chicken wire enclosures that I have been making around all my flowerbeds to keep the armadillos out.  He has a plan to close off all the entrances to the Star Garden that will look much better that what I'm doing.  And he is going to build enclosures around the front beds.  And he is going to work on the Rose Garden as well.  It won't keep out the deer, but I have high hopes for keeping the armadillos out.
  • Filled the cadet with mulch and mulched around the hydrangea, gingers and Hearts a Burstin'   where I raked out the leaves on Saturday.  Mulched around my clumps of woodland violets.  They are in bloom.  They like this cool weather.
  • I mulched around two small hydrangeas in the Greenhouse Gardens.  
  • Headed home to Houston with a heavy heart.  I hate to leave when the weather is so beautiful.  I am greatly affected by the changing of the seasons, and the passage of time is never so poignant as during these transitions.


No comments:

Post a Comment