Monday, December 12, 2022

Day at the Farm December 11, 2022

 This is Debutante Camelia.



I just drove up for the day on Sunday to bring up Christmas stuff.  There is a lot to haul up to get ready for Christmas.  Last night was Josh and Amy's annual Lights in the Heights party.  Fun evening!

It had rained hard the night before.  There were 3 inches in the rain gauge, so that's good.  All my seedlings were pummeled, but they will bounce back.  I picked leaves out of my seed beds.  I have good stands of Columbine seedlings in the Greenhouse Gardens, and I'm very happy about that.  I love those beautiful flowers.  I sowed McKana's Giant, and the color combinations are striking in that variety.  

All the daffodil bulbs are up, and I have buds on the Italicus paperwhites.  Hardly any of the daffodils bloomed last year because of the weird, extreme freeze we had right when everything was in bud. I have hundreds maybe even thousands of Sweetness daffodils in the Daffodil Border, and I have paperwhites growing everywhere.  I so, so, so don't want to miss another year.  

I cut down the blue mist flower.  That took a while because they get massive.  I threw all the debris into the Meadow.  It's native, and the butterfly display on them in the fall is so amazing that, if some of them spread seed, I will be very pleased.   The flowers are all brown, most of the seed is possibly not ripe, but some will be, I'm sure.  Watching the butterflies on this plant when it is in bloom is like watching a National Geographic show. 

The Star of Bethlehem bulbs I planted last weekend are already popping up.  The greenery is sturdier than I thought it would be for such slender, tiny little bulbs.

I pulled up grass growing in the Daffodil Border before it gets out of hand.

I hated to leave, everything right now feels like such a miracle.  But - home I did go.

No comments:

Post a Comment