Saturday, February 17, 2024

Weekend at the Farm Feb 9 - 11, 2024

 

RAIN!  Yay!

Slept in on Saturday.  We got some good rain, and it stayed cloudy and rainy all day which was fine with me.  I'll catch up on my sunshine in July.

There are buds on all the paperwhites.  Next weekend the air will be filled with their scent.  I love it, but Bert thinks it stinks.  There's no accounting for taste!

I began the process of cutting back dead debris.  I'd like to wait a bit longer because it's great for overwintering insects, etc. as well as insulation for the plants, but there is so much to do that I need to start.  I cut back  Henry Duelberg salvias, Southern woodfern and fragrant white mistflower.  

Pulled weeds in the Dining Room bed.

Turned the compost piles.

Put a load of debris in an erosion spot near the house.

I weeded in the beds along the back of the house.

I cleaned out the area near the Medicine Garden where I have a hot pink Oxalis colony.  It is a natural area, and it looks very charming when the Oxalis is in bloom.

I cut some blue spruce sedum that was cascading over the edge of a wheelbarrow serving as a planter.  I pressed a handful into a bed in Mom's Garden and a handful into a bed in the Greenhouse Garden.  Hopefully it will thrive and make a pretty grey-blue groundcover.

I weeded in the Kitchen Herb Garden.  I asked Bert to put a fence around the bed before it gets warm.  It's a pretty big bed.  The armadillos really mess with it.  It's next to impossible to get anything to thrive in there because almost every warm night of the year it is turned upside down.

Sunday.  Slept in.  Not expecting to do too much before we head to Houston for the Super Bowl at Mom and Dad's house.

I fertilized some of my baby trees around Mom's Garden.  I cut back the fragrant white mistflower and fertilized.  Fertilized the oakleaf hydrangea.

Fertilized in the Shade Garden (coralberry, my camellia, the Arkansas oak, the ferns and the bluebells).

Fertilized the bluebells along the driveway and the bridal wreath and maple leaf oak in the Circle Drive.

I lightly pruned some roses in the Rose Garden.  And I pulled up brown eyes and other seedlings that were growing under the roses.

Soaked overnight and then sowed a couple of packets of Sweet Peas around a trellis.  I found them in my seed box and decided to stick them in the ground, hopefully it's not too late.



No comments:

Post a Comment