Sunday, February 4, 2024

Weekend at the Farm February 2 - 4, 2024

 




We got some good rain while we were here.  And we were lucky to get about 5 inches last week. 

I listened to the quarterly NPSOT meeting from 9:00 to 1:00 with my ear buds on while I worked out in the garden.

I dug up 4 or so clumps of Southern Wood Fern from the Dining Room bed and moved them to the Shade Garden.  There is a spot at the edge of the Shade Garden that used to be gorgeous with ferns.  The last 2 years of drought have really knocked it back,  The first year injured it, but the second year engraved the headstone.    

I moved 3 or so clumps of peach cannas that were growing right under my Strawberry Smoothie althea.  I just had to move them a few feet.  

The Snowball Viburnum died after all these years.  I pulled it up out of the ground easily,  There is already a Texas Mountain Laurel planted there because I could tell the Viburnum was dying. 

Spent several hours raking leaves.  I weeded in the Daffodil Border and laid down piles of leaves over the areas that I weeded.  I got most of the bed done.  The Sweetness Daffodils are about a foot tall now.  I fertilized the whole border just when they appeared, about a month ago.  I am hoping for a floriferous spring.  Last spring was not amazing.  I'm going to thin them after they finish blooming. 

Collected some little woodland violet seeds and pressed them between the pages of a book.  

For the rest of the day I dug chickweed out of flowerbeds where ever I saw it as I walked around the gardens. 

The weather was so beautiful  One of those perfect days when the sun is shining and the temperature is so perfect that you don't even feel the air.  It is neither hot nor cold.  There were lots of Red Admirals out and about.

Sunday.  Windy.  I raked leaves in Mom's Garden and spread them in the Daffodil Border.  

I dumped one of my compost buckets into the Vegetable Garden beds.  Turned over the other three buckets.

I dug up 2 blue mistflower plugs and planted them in the Vegetable Garden.  

I dug up a white mistflower and planted it in Mom's Garden.

I collected and spread some handfuls of Black Seeded Moudry grass in the shady part of the Star Garden. 

Collected and spread blue mist and fragrant white mistflower seeds in various beds as well as Pringle Aster seed.

Dug out the rest of the peach cannas growing underneath the althea and stuck them in the ground nearby.

Collected some Velvet Leaf Senna seeds to give to Anne Thames.  Native Plant meeting at 2:00 at Los Patrones, then home to Houston after that.  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment