Sunday, January 21, 2024

Weekend at the Farm January 12 - 15, 2024

 


I am amazed and delighted that I had this random iris bloom (and that I spotted it - what luck) growing in the garden by the dining room.  I cut it brought it into the house before the big freeze that is coming on Tuesday.  I admired it all 3 days I was here.

Nathan and family came for the weekend.  

I pulled up both heads of lettuce out there in the Vegetable Garden.  Beautiful bunches of red and green leaf lettuce.  It tasted so good!

I pressed some flowers - 2 red shrimp flower - the last blooms of summer, and 1 Debutante camellia bloom.   I might lose all my camellia buds and blooms tomorrow.  

And I might lose my little Italicus daffodils that are in bud right now.  This will be year 3 that I have been growing these bulbs, and I have never had flowers.  They have been nipped by hard freezes every year.  Well, at least I understand that, when it does happen, when they go all the way from bud to bloom, it will be a really special season.  

Monday I made some suet and put it out in 2 feeders.  It's 20 degrees.  The birds have already found it.  Bert put a tray of water out by one of the feeders.  Everything else is frozen solid.

Below, how cool is this?  This is Frostweed, a Texas native.  When it freezes, the stems burst and all the water in the stems creates these ice ribbons.  Bert came back from a drive around the property very intrigued by something he saw on his drive.  I got in the truck with him and he drove me over to show me his find.  It was Frostweed.  So it made me remember that I have some growing in one of my gardens.  So we drove back home, and I looked at mine.  This is mine, growing in the Star Garden.  These are ice ribbons.   





No comments:

Post a Comment