Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Weekend at the Farm September 19 - 22, 2024

 


Blue mist flower and yellow and orange Cosmos in my front flowerbed.

Bert and I drove up together on Thursday evening after work.  I spent a little time in Mom's Garden pulling up Louisiana artemisia and weeding.  I haven't spent any time in that garden for a long time.  I didn't water it one time the whole summer until I seeded it last week.  But it looks pretty good.  

Friday morning before work I went back out to Mom's Garden.  I filled up the water tank and fixed the fountain apparatus.  It's working again, and looks fine, not sure why it stopped working.  I finished weeding and I trimmed the Mdm Alfred Carierre rose.  I watered.  

Cleared out some basketgrass in the Greenhouse Garden.  Did some watering in the Greenhouse Garden.  While I was in there, I found the fourth Ninebark I bought at the beginning of the summer.  I planted it, and then I couldn't remember where I planted it.  I looked and looked.  I finally decided it must have died.  But there it is tucked under a sweetshrub.  Mystery solved at last.

After work I raked the Greenhouse Garden and Mom's Garden.  And I did some raking in the Rose Garden.  I walked along the elderberry trail and cut away elderberry and Turks Cap so that one can walk freely without brushing against anything

Saturday.  Up before daylight.  

Nelly went to the vet on Friday and was finally spayed.  She was still feeling punky on Saturday, poor thing.

I cleared paths in the Star Garden so they are mostly walkable now.  Pulled weeds.  Staked a few things.

I checked on the Orchard, pulled a few weeds while I was there.  The little salvia are blooming pink and red, so pretty in the early morning.  But they wither away by the time the sun comes out hard.

Everything looks pretty good. 

Did some cooking and prep work for my NPSOT volunteers.  We worked on plant sale activities from 1:00 - 5:00.  Signage, plant tags and laminating plant signs.

Sunday.  Up before daylight.

I planted 2 Bushy Lippia in the Rose Garden and one in the Orchard.  I bought them from Ann about a month ago, and I finally got around to planting them.  I was going to plant all three in the Rose Garden in a group, but I ran into a really thick peppervine vine.  I scraped it with my scissors and poisoned it with a drop of Remedy / diesel in my oil can. 

I spent all morning pruning my roses in buckets and my La Vesuve rose, fertilizing and watering.  Hopefully October and November will give me a good show.  I weeded here and there as I worked, poisoned vines, and watered beds.  

I sprinkled some baking soda on nostoc algae in the Orchard.  Either applying baking soda last year was a total success or the change in my watering schedule or a combination of both have really gotten rid of the problem.  This little patch of algae is the only one I have had this year.  It's an incredible transformation.  It was a real problem for years.  Now it is gone with this one exception.  Wow.

I weeded a bit in the Orchard. when I went down there to plant the Bushy Lippia.

I watered in the Greenhouse Gardens.    

I watered all my seed beds - two in the rose Garden and one in Mom's Garden.  

Sunday was a beautiful day.  I had a wonderful time working in the gardens.  

Headed home to Houston after the football game.

  



No comments:

Post a Comment