Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Weekend at the Farm September 13 - 15, 2024

 


I arrived mid afternoon on Friday.  Grandparents lunches with Koy and Cleo, then headed there.  Bert is in Groesbeck with his boys.  He joined me on Saturday.

Pretty hot when I got there, so I stayed inside for a bit.

I sowed Rattlesnake Master and Prairie Verbena seed in Mom's Garden.  It's just occurring to me that Rattlesnake Master might not be the best name for a plant in a garden dedicated to my mom, but it's white and structurally it is very unusual.  I watered it, and I can get 2 waterings in on Saturday and one on Sunday before I leave.  That should get them going.  I need a timer to really insure that they will germinate and thrive.  There has been no rain to speak of in August or September here, so everything is gasping that is not irrigated.  And Mom's Garden is not irrigated. 

Saturday.  The days have gotten so much shorter.  It's still dark outside at 7:00.  Drank coffee until it was light enough to go out and work.

I started in the Orchard.  I did some raking and cutting plants leaning into paths.  I deadheaded coneflower and spread the seed.  I weeded.  Poisoned the grass that spreads by stolons by cutting off the tops and putting a drop of poison on the cut.  That seems to be working to kill the stolons.  I'm keeping up with it, and the garden is under control.  It looks real pretty in fact, and the butterflies are numerous:  Julias, Zebra Longwings, Giant Swallowtails and Gulf Fritillaries.  The Julias and the Zebra Longwings are especially exciting to see.

I watered The Choctaw Pecan and the Mexican Sycamore.  Watered in the Rose Garden and Mom's Garden.  

Next I worked in the Shade Garden.  It is a garden that doesn't need work very often, sort of a self-cleaning garden.  But It really needed some work today.  I cut snakeroot and gingers away from paths.  I cleared out basketgrass.  I cut down yaupon and poisoned the tips.  Raked.  Still more to do in there.  But it's worlds better. 

Inside for a rest.

Sprayed vinegar in the Orchard, the Vegetable Garden, the Rose Garden and the Star Garden.

I watered the Rose Garden and worked in there as I watered.  

Water the seeds again that I sowed yesterday in Mom's Garden.

Picked up all my piles of debris in the Shade Garden.

Sunday morning took a walk with Bert and the dogs, then drove to Houston.  Koy, Cleo and I went to lunch at Birraporettis and then to see The Little Mermaid at the Houston Ballet.

No comments:

Post a Comment