Thursday, January 19, 2012

Emerging Bulbs

These are some of my species tulips. They are called Tubergen's Gems. Where there was one, now there are two. This is why I love bulbs - it's the only math I understand - multiplication! Tubergen's Gems are yellow and red. They open and close with the movement of the sun. When they are fully open with in the middle of they day, they look completely yellow. When they are closed up in the very early morning and evening, they are completely red. I planted 100 of these species tulips under a peach tree last fall.



These are bearded iris. Normally they have attractive greenery that does not go dormant. But these were not in a very hospitable spot. I just moved them to a new flowerbed where they will receive more sunlight.



These are Excelsior Spanish Bluebells. Just beyond the spot where the greenery ends I have created a new bed and planted about 100 more of them.



Excelsior Spanish Bluebells are good multipliers. I planted these last fall, and one bulb has turned into three.


This is a row of Philippine Lily seedlings (grown from seed off of plants that have long ago disappeared thanks to rooting armadillos) and a row of Ox Blood Lilies give to me by my sister for Christmas.



This unruly greenery is Neapolitanum Alliums. The flowers are white. They reseed vigorously. The bulbs are not very long-lasting. They multiply primarily by seed.



These are called Narcissus Linnaeus Odorus, commonly called Campernelles. They have a good smell, hence the name "odorus".


No comments:

Post a Comment