Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Weekend at the Farm Jan 6-9 2012



This is a Zeolite Calendula. Calendula flowers are very long lasting. This flower has been open for two weeks, and it still looks good. Candulas are also called Pot Marigolds because the greens used to be thrown into the stew or soup pot. I don't know of anyone anymore that cooks the greens of Calendulas, but you can! The flower petals of these plants are edible. I have these growing in my Vegetable Garden. The leaves can be used to sprinkle across plates or to brighten salads.




I cut back the dead asparagus vegetation.



Shredded leaves on Saturday and Sunday. Spread the leaves in the circle of the driveway and the Rose Garden. I'm trying to enrich the soil in the circle drive. My long term plan is to naturalize various bulbs in that area - Phillipine Lilies, Spider Lilies, and Rain Lilies.



Sprinkled organic fertilizer on all of my emerging bulbs - the Bacon and Egg daffodils, the Grand Primo daffodils, the Excelsior Spanish Bluebells, the Oxblood Lilies, , the Phillipine Lilies, the Rolf Fiedler Ipheions, the bearded irises, the Napes Garlics, and the rain lilies. I try and fertilize my bulbs when they first appear and just when they form buds.



Soaked parsley seeds overnight in water to soften them up. Sowed them in the Orchard and the Infinity Garden.



Sowed a packet of California Poppied 'Sunset Mix' seeds in the Orchard.



Pulled up chicken wire that was pegged down over the Bluebells along the Boardwalk.



Trimmed bug-chewed leaves off the vegetables.



Moved some Ox Eye Daisy plants growing wild in the yard over to a flowerbed where I think they will do really well.



Watered shrubs around the Greenhouse.



Watered the citrus trees in the Greenhouse.



Weeded. I'm keeping up with it pretty well. Cool season weeds are easier to pull up than warm season weeds.



The gardens look good. Spring will be so pretty!


No comments:

Post a Comment