Monday, June 25, 2012

Red Hot Mamas

I planted yellow and red zinnias this summer.  Some of them are already blooming.  I purchased an ounce each of red and yellow seeds.  That's a lot of seeds!  They are absolutely beautiful, so vivid and showy.  I seeded several beds in the Orchard, a bed in the Vegetable Garden, and throughout the Star Garden.  Zinnias grow quickly as do most annuals.  Annuals grow quickly because they only have a short time to grow, bloom, set seed, and die.  It has to happen all in one season, so Mother Nature has engineered the speed of their growth to match their task.  I also purchased an ounce of cosmos.  I don't think I will try cosmos again.  They just aren't as vigorous as zinnias, and certainly not as gaudy.  That's it!  Zinnias are gaudy.  But I love them.  When you deadhead zinnias, cut the bloom off the stem and let it wither right there in the flower bed.  The entire flower becomes a hundred seeds that take root and become plants.











No comments:

Post a Comment