Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Weekend at the Farm June 23-24,2012

This is a Venezia di Carnivale Morning Glory.  I don't love them.  It turns out that for me, the classic clear blue morning glory is the best.  These are pretty, but the leaves are smaller which makes them look less hardy and healthy.  And the flowers are not as showy.  I bought various varieties of morning glory seeds this season, giving something new a try in case I was missing out on something.  I wasn't, but I'm glad I know for sure.

  • I trimmed the lantana around the pool.
  • Watered the hydrangeas.  They aren't getting enough water.  Cut back lots of dead wood.
  • Fertilized all my new shrubs (planted this year) - flowering almonds, pearl bush, wegelia (not doing well at all), harlequin glorybower, snowball viburnum, almond verbena,double pink althea, blue satin althea, double red althea, Madame Isaac Pereirre, Japanese Roses. 
  • Picked lots of tomatoes, eggplants, jalapenos, and cucumbers.
  • Staked the Indigo Spires salvia away from the Blue Satin Althea.
  • Deadheaded some roses, but didn't spend a lot of time in the Rose Garden. 
  •  Planted two Oakleaf Hdrangeas along the Boardwalk.  I found them at Buchanan's Nursery, and I bought them because they were in small pots (cheaper).  I like to buy plants in small sizes that are going to get big.  I'm a patient person.
  • Weeded, weeded, weeded.  Then I weeded some more.  I haven't been able to spend a lot of time in Burton this summer working.  Other things have prevented it.  So the weeds were out of hand.  
  • Sunday I worked in the Orchard for a long time.  I pulled up lots of spent flowers - arm loads of flowers.  I also pulled up armloads of weeds.  I fertilized here and there and mulched the flower beds.  It was pretty hard work.  I also sprayed herbicide in the paths.
  • Sprayed herbicide in the Star Garden and the driveway.  
  • Swam in the pool off and on Saturday and Sunday.   

No comments:

Post a Comment