Saturday, June 2, 2012

What's Blooming Now - Triumphator Lilies 05/20/2012


In the picture above, just to the right of the Triumphator are some Phillippine lily seedlings.

This is the first year I have grown Triumphator lilies.  I bought them at The Arbor Gate.  The owner and several employees were so enthusiastic about them that I bought a clump of them already potted up.  Several weeks later they had some bulbs for sale, so I bought three of them.They are blooming quite spectacularly.  The other type of trumpet lilies I grow are called Phillippine lilies.  I have many seedlings growing of those.  I purchased plants several years ago, but the armadillos dug them all up.  Before they all disappeared as a result of that abuse, many of them had thrown off hundreds of seeds.  Growing lilies by seed is a multi-year endeavor, it's not something an impatient person would want to do.  But here I am, two years later, with a dozen plants just mature enough to produce a single flower.  In a few more years they will look like the Triumphators.  My plan is to encourage the Phillippine lilies to begin growing in the Circle Drive under the trees.  The Phillippines don't mind a little shade.  I have two growing in there now.  It will be another five years before that vision is realized fully.  

No comments:

Post a Comment